2014년 5월 7일 수요일

Wedding in the States VS Wedding in South Korea

I am getting married next month 29th. yohoo!
How exciting?
Yes. Very.

I have been dedicating a lot of time for my wedding preparations for many months now.
from head to toe. People who already married would know what it means.
RSVP,Wedding rings, decorations, cake, food, dress, registry, honeymoon and so on.
There is a lot of thing that you have to prepare for the big day.

Hey, let me introduce myself before start my first blog, I am from South Korea.
Currently relocated in United States in Pennsylvania. I love travel, food, people.

Today, I want to talk about wedding that are differences between States and South Korea
1. wedding dress.
2. Meal coupons
3. Probably the fastest wedding in the world! I'll say it.


  First of all, I had a culture shock when I heard that I have to purchase my wedding dress
I mean, wedding dress you only wear once in your life (Let's hope!)
and you pay min $200 to $$$ you can't even wear as a daily look! and you pay that much money just for the few hours of your wedding day? 
Because I couldn't rent my dress I end up purchasing my beautiful wedding dress for my big day. do not get wrong. I mean I love my wedding dress. I just do not want to think about how much we had to spend on. 
In my country 99.9% people are renting from wedding dress shop.
I do not know how much does it cost for renting a wedding dress but I am guessing probably $-$$. there is advantages and disadvantages renting a gown and purchasing a gown. I am sure you can think of that. It is just different wedding culture.


  Second, If you hire caterer usually you count the number of guests before 14 days of your wedding day so they can preparing enough of food in the United States. on the other hand, In South Korea you give a meal coupon to guest on your wedding day that mean that you can get into the reception place if you have a coupon. So, at the end of your day caterer count how many guests were at the reception and you pay for whatever number of people were there. Interesting!

  Third, The fastest wedding in the WORLD!
The reason why I am saying is that the wedding ceremony is probably last for 20 minutes and you go to reception place in the same building and usually a buffet style. also be aware! you will find out soon that you are sitting on the same table with people that you never met in your life.- Korean do not make seating chart-
After you have lunch It is done for your job today as a guest.

If you are a bride? or groom? 
Get ready in the morning have a ceremony, take pictures with family and guest change your western wedding gown to traditional wedding gown in the small room the closest family will be there and throw you a nuts and dates for the prosperity and good advice.
After all again, you have to change your gown to hanbok(traditional korean dress) and greeting at guests who are attend your wedding at the reception place from table to table... it is ok if you do not know who they are probably it is your parents co-worker or your relatives-relatives it is normal that you do not recognize your guests. if you are hungry you will probably eat some of food but it is not done yet. before you finish your meal you will find out that you only have 3 hours before your flight.
and you change again for your honeymoon as a semi suit or comfortable casual clothes.
and run to airport.  everything happened in the same day in 10 hours.

When it is the wedding season (May-October) some guests have a 2 or 3 wedding that they have to attend in same day! (Oh my!)



Whereas in the United States, your wedding is all- day long!
There is no rush.(I love this part the most!)
It is more laid back. it is your party it's your day! ENJOY!
Have a ceremony about an 45 minutes, you go to photo place so that you can take nice pictures with friends and family. usually ceremony and reception place is two different location so guests will arrive and have appetizer like cheese,cracker, raw vegetables while waiting on bride and groom arrives. 
When they arrive usually you have a march again! but not the serious kind of march it is  more fun way.
sometimes the party walk in the hall with dance.
before start a meal maid of honor and groomsman make a toss or have a speech about the bride and groom.
after all, dinner party is start!
guest enjoy the party thorough out the night.
photo, music, dance, game, talk... all good stuffs.


I love it  both way of wedding because it is a happy day for the new married couple.
It is a blessing day!. even though the culture is different definitely it is a good day.
a very good day!.

PS. I hope you guys find out interesting facts of two different wedding culture.
If you have more to say about your wedding culture why not to share with me?
My English is not perfect but I very much enjoyed to share this with you guys.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기